Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Recipe: Egg and Cheese Barag

Growing up, I got to experience family recipes and a sense of heritage.  My mom's parents were farmers.  My grandmother farmed, but she also took care of the home. And it seemed like every time we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house she always had some type of cookie, or pastry, or cake made for my sister and I to eat.

Barags are an Armenian Pastry. Now, I don't know how "classic" this term gets because I think in my family, it's just a word we use for pastry, or rather bread pastries stuffed with something in like egg and cheese or sauteed onions, rahan (opal basil) and walnuts. The "r" is actually pronounced as a "d".

If you can't pronounce "barag", that is okay. You can call these "boats", because really they are like little canoes filled with an egg and cheese mixture and baked.

Ingredients:
1/2 of a prepared bread dough recipe or a loaf of frozen bread dough
3 eggs
1-2 cups of grated cheese
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the eggs and add 2 cups of cheese. Grandma always used mild cheddar and Monterrey jack but a shredded Mexican blend works nicely too. Use whatever tickles your fancy. Add salt and pepper.

Divide tour dough into 4 or equal portions (about 6-8 inches in length), Form into a long log, and with your dough cutter or hands, shape out a hollow center.


Divide egg mixture into the center of each log. You can brush olive oil or cream over the bread to help golden in the cooking process.


Cook for 25-35 minutes, or until the egg mixture has solidified in the center of the bread and the bread crust has turned golden.  Cool for a few minutes, and enjoy. 

Recipes like this take me back to when I was a little girl, around family. It's nice when the food you eat can take you to places you miss.

Happy Eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment