Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Food: The Cheese Cave

I miss tasting bars. I miss the city. I miss being able to buy wine and beer whenever I want.


My friend, Ms. C took me to a little place in Faribault, MN, called The Cheese Cave.  It was soooooooo what I needed. The atmosphere is a charming, medium lighting, and just feels cool.

They have a nice little selection of wines; reds, whites, and blush. And they have a whole lotta cheese to taste. It doesn't stop their though; they have a menu to incorporate their cheeses (and these are fancy pants Artisan cheeses).


We shared a Cheese Platter of Gouda, Widmer Pepper Cheddar  and a Manchego. It came out placed with dried cranberries, sugared pecans, water crackers,  and milk and semi sweet chocolate discs.  The Gouda and Pepper Cheddar were outstanding, [I absolutely love a good Gouda]. The Manchega was okay. It was a true Manchego, but just didn't stand out as much as the other two cheeses did.


We followed that with a Baguette and Balsamic Vinegar Dip.  They emulsify the Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil with salt, pepper, and parmesean cheese so that they don't separate and it forms a beautiful dipping sauce. At my friends request (she is a true Italian girl, who loves good Olive oil and good Balsamic), we sipped little shots of straight balsamic. It was smooth and sweet, still vinegar but syrupy and rounded.


We followed up are almost Tapas like dinner with Pear, Gorgonzola, and sugared pecan salad. It came with a champagne/red wine vinaigrette (I am really not sure which it was, but it was very good). Light. Sweet. Crisp. All the things a good salad should be. With REAL bacon crumbled [no bacon bits].

I followed Ms. C's recommendation for the Cannon River Winery - Minnesota Meritage Semi Sweet Wine. For me, it was an easy drinking, red, no sweetness at all. A table red that pairs well with everything. Mellow. Very subtle tannins. Just smooth sipping and subtle.


It was a fun evening. What vino doesn't love wine, cheese, and great company?





No comments:

Post a Comment