Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Vino Travels: Wine Tasting on the Royal Caribbean


The Wine Tasting class on the Royal Carribean consisted of 4 wines all LaFite Barons De Rothschild Reserve Speciale Bordeaux wines.

They. Were phenomenal. I did enjoy them all. Truly. But I think my tastes are very easy to please, that is to say, I also enjoy all food as well.
[From Left to Right] Bordeau Blanc, Bordeaux Rouge, Medoc, Pauillac

This class was very neat because it reinforced the principle of French Wine making being regional (ie Champagne is made in the Champagne Region of France, where as California "Champagnes" are Sparkling wines). The idea is universal to all the regions. I haven't really sampled French wines before, but it was refreshing to discover I like them just the same as the local wines in California. 

I adored the Bordeaux Blanc. It just had this light sweetness to it, but still had the body of a Sauvignon Blanc ( 60% Semillon, 40% Sauvignon Blanc).

It really did matter, as far as the order of the tasting. As it went on, we continued to a light red, the Bordeaux Rouge( 70% Merlot, 30% Cabernet. This one was lighter, not so many tannins, and heavy berry notes.

The Medoc was a medium wine, (60% Cabernet, 40% Merlot), with more chocolate notes, and a richer, dryer finish.

We finished with the Pauillac, ( 75% Cabernet, 25% Merlot), which was rich with tannins and did invoke a pucker to the mouth. It had deeper spice notes to the nose, but still had berry aromas as well. 

When we circled back to the  Bordeaux Rouge, you could immediately taste  why it is important to graduate the drinking of wine. I had never really though about it before. 

I mean, why would you drink a muscat, then follow it up with a Sauvignon Blanc? Or a Chardonnay? I did that, when we returned home and found it very distasteful. Your whole mouth needs to be re-primed, your palate cleansed, in order to do that.  It's much easier to switch between darker reds, then to jump back and forth, but truthfully, you will alter the taste of each wine depending on what was last on your palate. 


We also had a cheese platter with dried fruits and nuts. Brie, Gouda, and some other exceptionally delicious cheese that I didn't know what it was.

I would drink these wines again. I think they all have their own attributes that make them delicious. The Pauillac was very heavy on the tannins and was not my favorite. But it was the favorite of our party, I believe.

Cheers to enjoyable wine, and learning new things. *Clink, Clink*



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website.
    I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to come back once again
    since I bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the best
    way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.



    My web site; drastic weight loss

    ReplyDelete