Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Recipe: Maple Wheat Rolls

Do you have luck making wheat breads? I don't usually. I find that mine are either akin to sand paper, or too yeasty. The Hubs usually will not even try whatever I make. He isn't a fan of wheat. It's the sand paper thing.



However, there was hope for me recently!

I found this recipe on pinterest by A Hint of Honey but had to make some adaptations due to lack of ingredients. It still turned out soft and delicious.


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups warm Almond milk 
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2-2 cups white flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt



I have never baked bread with almond milk before. We don't consume dairy milk on the regular (it goes bad before we can drink it/cook with it). It was pretty darn interesting to see the yeast grow in warm almond milk. It was super fizzy and active.  And it worked out just fine.

In a mixer, combine the egg, creamed butter, and maple syrup. Add the yeast and almond milk mixture after it has proofed for 8-10 minutes.

Once combined, add your your salt, and flours, 1 cup at a time. Once they are all combined, turn out onto a floured surface (I used white flour for this), and knead until combined and smooth.

Let rise until doubled in size (60-90 minutes).  Punch down and form 12 rolls.  Put on baking sheets and let rise again until doubled in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool.

I can't possibly eat 12 rolls by myself in a matter of days because we established before, the Hubs is not a fan of wheat bread. I mean, I probably can eat that many rolls but I wouldn't like my hips any more by day 2.

So I stored the left over buns in a plastic bag ziploc bag in my freezer. This idea has been GREAT. I heat buns up one at a time in the microwave to defrost it (30 seconds and POOF, soft warm buns). They freeze very well, and are super delicious with melted butter.  The maple syrup isn't over powering or super sweet. The combination of flours defeated the sand papery texture I had been doomed with accomplishing before.

Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment