Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wine: Wine Twist tops, an Essay

I have had a long time bias against twist top wine, versus the traditional cork.

Usually, I associate it with cheap vintages, or a lack of vintage, and cheap, steel-vat mass produced poppy cock-ery. 

One such wine, Big Kahuna, carried at Fresh and Easy, is just not my favorite, and that's being polite.

So when I ordered wine from the last wine tasting at Crescendo, I was slightly disappointed to receive bottles that were twist tops. Which was completely silly; I had sampled the wines and liked them enough to purchase them. So why did it matter?

It was a perception based on bad previous tasting experiences.

And then, it seemed fate crossed this article right into my cross hairs which has seemed to help legitimatize the "non- corked" wines.

It's enlightening to learn that this screw tops are recyclable (but not biodegradable) and a step in the direction of creating a greener function in the industry versus corks which are a limited natural resource.

The point of this essay? Maybe give screwy, twisty tops more of a chance. Especially if you typically purchase wines in the price range of less than $30 dollars a bottle. 

Now, to the wines that have surprised me in the most pleasant of ways:

Charles Smith is a fun Washington State vinter I have talked about before. I just love his wines. I think he knows his stuff, and it helps that the vintages I have had have been super delicious. And hello, it's Washington State, right up there with Argentinian wines, yo!


Duck Pond, of Fries Family Cellars, is a delightful Pinot Gris out of Oregon State. There's a pattern here, I seem to be paying homage to my West Coast Roots. In any case, it's wine well worth it, for regions  that have similar climate conditions to Napa Valley, but with less value per acre to keep the cost of the wine down in an  affordable bracket. But that's a different essay. Back to the subject of Cork VS Twisty Top.





Twisty Tops: give them a chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment