Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Recipe: Peanut butter pies for Two

Pardon my long hiatus. I think this post is worth the wait!

We have been trying to eat cleaner lately, the husband and I. Cleaner, as in, no more hot dogs and chicken wings, which he brings home from work. 

Of course when the husband diets he does all the way. But I have a sweet tooth and I require some form of chocolate or a couple of scoops of ice cream to keep me sustained.

Flash forward to V-day. We usually celebrate with a romantic meal at home. There was the one year I made Beef Bourgonion that I still catch hell for because we were too cataconic in food comas to move off the sofa.


This year is nice and lean steaks, some wine..... and PEANUT BUTTER PIES!

I found my tart tins recently and I thought it would be fun to make single serving deserts that are a little indulge-y but still light... ish.


Ingredients for the filling:
2 tablespoons of creamy Peanut Butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon low-fat cream cheese (regular is fine too), at room temperature
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Almond Milk (or any other dairy, or dairy substitute)
1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional)

Ingredients for the crust:
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 sheets of graham crackers 
1 tablespoon of brown sugar


In a food processor, pulse graham crackers until they are the desired consistency. I like mine a little chunkier.

Melt the butter, and in a bowl add the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and brown sugar. Mix until combined.  Fill equal portions into small tart pans and bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes checking intermittently to make sure they don't burn.  Remove from the oven when golden brown, and cool on a cookie rack.

In a food processor mix together the ingredients for the filling until creamy and smooth. When the tart pans are cooled, pour equal amounts of the batter into the tart tins and refrigerate to set.



I am surprising my hubby with these for Valentines day. I am sure they will be well received;  Creamy peanut butter custard in a graham cracker shell. Who can resist?  He is a huge fan of brown sugar Carmelized into graham cracker crusts in his cheesecake, so I figure this is an equally good move. 

Happy Valentines Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment